Yellow Brick House is hiring a Part-Time Public Education Coordinator, 2 days per week.
Yellow Brick House/Project Hostel is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to providing services to women who have experienced violence and abuse. Yellow Brick House provides emergency shelter, transitional housing and supportive counselling to abused women and their children in York Region. Services are proved within a supportive environment that facilitates empowerment to help women and their children regain control of their lives.
Reporting to the Manager of Direct Services and Public Education, the Public Education Co-ordinator is responsible for a variety of community education duties including some communications related responsibilities. This role will assist in the delivery of the Healthy Homes project, which will provide education related to the topic of domestic violence in schools, welcome centres, faith and spiritual organizations, child care centres, etc.
Hours of Work: 15 hours (2 days) per week guaranteed – flexible (and sometimes more than 15 hours required) for some evening and/or weekend events. Contract ending March 31, 2019.
- Participate in the design/implementation of education programs according to the needs of the community.
- Act as agency liaison person for all matters related to public education
- Act as public relations for all programs
- Research and compile resource material
- Participate in the development and distribution of handouts and booklets
- Participate in committees relevant to the position
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on statistics and issues related to violence and woman abuse
- Maintain open communication with all agency programs
- Initiate (approach groups, develop programs) and respond to community requests for workshops, presentations, including group participation and discussion, audio-visual presentations, and information packages
- Provide resources to the public on an as-needed basis to those who identify themselves to have experienced or witnessed domestic violence
Minimum Education/General Experience Requirements
- Relevant university degree required (or in process)
- Education or training in public speaking is essential
- 2 – 3 years experience in public speaking
- Proficiency with Powerpoint, Word, Excel required
- Fluency/competency in a second language is an asset
- Experience working with abused women is an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of abuse/violence against women and children
- Demonstrate knowledge of feminism and anti oppression
- Ability to work under pressure and within the context of the team structure and atmosphere
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to multi task and prioritize workload
- Ability to deliver culturally appropriate services and to work within an anti-oppression framework
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Hours: 15 hours per week (equivalent to 2 days per week)
Starting Date: June 2018
Other: A police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. Yellow Brick House is a unionized workplace and employees are represented by CUPE Local 3636. This position is confidential and not in the bargaining unit.
Submit a confidential application to: Marie Lang, Manager – Direct Services – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that NO PHONE CALLS will be accepted.
Applicants will be contacted only if being offered an interview.
Applications are being accepted until June 4, 2018.