We can Help
If you are being abused and you question your safety or the safety of your children, you need to get help now. A professional counsellor is available 24 hours per day, every day of the week by calling our toll free and confidential crisis line 1-800-263-3247.
Are You in Danger Right Now?
- Call 911. If you cannot speak, just dial 911 and leave the phone off the hook; a police car will automatically be dispatched.
- If there is no 911 number in your area, check your phone book for the crisis/emergency number.
Do You Need to Get Away?
- Call Yellow Brick House at 1-800-263-3247. You can speak confidentially with a professional counsellor and get advice on your next steps.
If You Are Being Abused and Want to Leave
- Don’t tell your partner that you’re thinking of leaving.
- Take your children with you.
- Plan your emergency exits.
- Keep emergency phone numbers with you at all times.
- Set aside money for a taxi, and quarters or pre-paid phone cards for payphones.
- Take valuable documents with you such as passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates, immigration papers, OHIP card, SIN card, bank books and bank cards.
- Make photocopies of all important documents and leave them with a person you trust.
- Bring documents that prove you have been living at the same address with your partner.
- Take your and your kids’ prescriptions and medicines.
- Open a bank account in your name or in the name of a person you trust. Make sure that bank statements are not mailed to your home.
- Save as much cash as you can.
- Hide extra clothing, house keys, car keys, money etc., at a friend’s house.
- Have an emergency suitcase packed if possible.
- Include some special toys and comforts for your children.